Preparing for re-accreditation
We worked together at a 100+ residential care facility in South Australia. The home is a two-storey purpose built new facility with a dementia specific wing. The home’s clinical and catering services would not have met the Accreditation Standards.
A significant amount of work was required to bring the home up to standard, including:
- Undertaking a consumer experience survey of greater than 20% of care recipients which identified specific gaps that required action, especially in relation to catering services.
- Assisting management to undertake self-assessment in readiness for re-accreditation audit.
- Teaching clinical staff how to use Tracer methodology to audit clinical and lifestyle systems and processes for a group of care recipients. This identified significant gaps in assessment, care planning and review processes, particularly in relation to restraint use, nutrition, medication and behaviour management.
- Monitoring reassessment of care recipients, and care plans updated to reflect newly identified needs.
- One to one and group training was provided to staff on the home’s clinical processes to ensure consistent implementation.
- Working in collaboration with the organisation’s external suppliers and reviewing the services processes for fluid texturing. A new system was implemented along with relevant training for all staff.
- Implementation of a Texture Modified Diet Focus Group to include staff, care recipients, families, speech pathologists, catering contractor, and site’s management team.
- Review and implementation of appropriate process for food and fluid texturing to ensure safety and quality for at risk residents.
- Working closely with the catering contractor to redesign the menu to suit the care recipients needs and preferences, and improve efficiencies and cost of food supply.
- Implementing a suitable uniform and personal hygiene practices for catering staff.
- Undertaking a review of the scope of service for cleaning services and purchasing appropriate cleaning equipment in consultation with the staff and equipment manufacturer / supplier.
- Implementing an effective and efficient micro-fibre mopping system across the facility.
- Review of cleaning and laundry roster and implementation of a more effective and efficient roster.
- Review and implementation of Cleaning and Laundry staffs’ Duty Statements and task lists.
The home had their re-accreditation site audit in 2018 and were found to be compliant with all 44 Expected outcomes of the Accreditation Standards.
By Virginia .M and Vitish .G